Search This Blog

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Why Was Yesterday a Good Day?

Most of my days teaching range from to "slightly annoying" to "okay." I have some really awful days and some days that are energizing and great. Yesterday was energizing and I really enjoyed it. Whenever I have a day like that, I wonder why that day was good and others are not. What do I do differently on good days? I realize that there are a lot things that are out of my control, but on days where things are running fairly smoothly what do I do differently to make it a good day?

I've been thinking about this for a while, and come up with some conclusions. First, on good days, it is me with my students working to learn together. It is not the "me vs. them" feeling that I get when I am frustrated. I focus on them having fun and on showing what they know instead of me jamming knowledge into their heads. In short, my focus is on my students, not on me. When I get stressed it's hard for me to focus on my students.

Second, in order to focus on my students I need to drop my perfectionism and fast pace. I get upset when I feel they are not learning fast enough or that they are not acting or learning as they should be learning. I've found that the word "should" is dangerous to me. I worry about what "should" be happening instead of what is actually happening. Instead of dealing with my students where they are I get upset that they aren't somewhere else.

Third, good days are days when I connect to my students. I'm continuing to work on acknowledging my students' feelings, but I still find myself dismissing their feelings. But on days when I don't, when i talk to them and connect with them, things are better. This video helped me realize that.

I'm in a position of authority over my students. Often I get caught up in that and forget that my students are people who deserve respect and empathy. So that is my next goal for November. Consistently be student-focused as I teach.   

No comments:

Post a Comment