Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Education Books to Read

I love to read. In order to feel comfortable with a new idea, I read and write about it. There are several books I want to read about teaching strategies and in order to keep track of them, I'm making a list.

1. Socratic Circles: Fostering Critical and Creative Thinking in Middle and High School Students by Matt Copeland. I was looking up a different book about the Socratic method on Amazon, but this one had better reviews so I ordered it.

2. Teaching with Love % Logic: Taking Control of the Classroom by Jim Fay and David Funk. A friend who has been teaching for a long time recommended this one.

3. A Handbook for Classroom Instruction that Works by Robert J. Marzano. My school is using Marzano's methods for teaching this year.

4. Breaking the Learning Barrier for Underachieving Students: Practical Teaching Strategies for Dramatic Results by George D. Nelson. I read this book in college when I took a class from the professor who wrote it. It is the basis for my educational philosophy and I want to go back over it.

5. Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College by Doug Lemov I interviewed for a job in Trenton, New Jersey and flew out to do a full day tour and test taught a few classes. They told me this is the book they use and have a lot of success with. I read about half the book before I flew out for the interview. While I didn't get the job, this book is full of strategies to help with classroom management and engagement. I want to go back over them.

6. Kids are Worth It! Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline by Barbara Coloroso. A friend of mine that I blog with elsewhere recommended this one.

This is just the education books I want to read. Next up is the list of theatre books and pays I want to read. I think I'm insance...




No comments:

Post a Comment