Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Soliciting Donations

As I've mentioned before, my program has very little in the way of furniture, costumes and props. I've spent a lot of my own money on props and furniture for my shows, but I can't keep doing that. So I'm trying to come up with ways to solicit donations of things for my program.

I was poking around on CraigsList, looking for cheap furniture. Then I realized, I could use CraigsList to place a "wanted" ad. I posted two ads; one for furniture:

"Looking for Low Cost or Donations of Furniture to my school's drama program. Donations to the program are tax deductible. I'm also willing to pay up to $50, depending on what the piece is.

I'm looking for couches/loveseats, coffee tables, end tables, dining tables, dining chairs, arm chairs, desks, etc. Can be beat up, stained, have some minor damage since they will be on stage and harder to see. If in doubt, contact me. You'd be surprised what drama teachers can use."
 And one for props and costumes:
"Looking for Low Cost or Donations of Clothing or Props to my school's drama program. Donations to the program are tax deductible. I'm also willing to pay up to $50, depending on what the piece is. In order to put on plays, we need furniture to create sets. I'm looking to add to the little bit that we have at ------- High School.

I'm looking for gently used clothing, shoes and accessories to fit 13-18 year male and female. Can be any style, any era. Costume jewelry, belts, wallets, bags, hats are also needed.

I'm also looking for props like dishes, silverware, cookware, trays, table linens, lamps, candle holders, phones, small appliances, pillows, blankets, canes, vases, fake flowers, pictures, nick-knacks, mirrors, books, etc. Does not have to work, can be slightly damaged as it will be a prop used on stage and not seen up close. "

If in doubt, contact me. You'd be surprised what drama teachers can use.

We live in a community with a large amount of turn-over, so there are always people moving. I know from my recent moving experience that you end up with a bunch of stuff you don't want to take with you. Often it ends up in the trash because you can't find someone to take it. I'm thinking my school can be that someone for a while. Less money that I or my program have to spend.

I know that Craigslist can be sketchy, so I plan to meet in public and take my husband with me when I meet these people.

i also plan on putting something similar to this in the disclosure I send home with my students at the beginning of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment