Search This Blog

Thursday, July 3, 2014

"Time Capsule of Your Intentions"

I just finished reading Educating Esme: Diary of a Teacher's First Year. At 5:00 am. I need to get on a normal sleeping schedule...

This book was amazing. So much of it resonated with me: students from difficult situations, getting cussed at, feeling under-appreciated, spending lots of your own money, finding help in other teachers, etc. I admired her courage in doing what she thought was best for her students and not letting petty details and people stop her. I want her courage.

She makes several suggestions for teachers at the end of the book. One is "Think about why you are a teacher in terms of what you have to share." A second is "Make a time capsule of your intentions," meaning, what do you want to teach that isn't strictly based in the curriculum. I combined those two in my head, and at the bottom of the blog I'm making a list of things I think are important or cool and want to teach my students. Most have some kind of connection to theatre, but aren't what are typically studied in drama classes. Even Shakespeare is often made dull; I want to teach the beauty and glory of Shakespeare!

No comments:

Post a Comment