I just finished Teaching with Love and Logic by Jim Fay and David Funk. It was more helpful then I could have imagined. It gave me ideas that I never considered about how to build relationships, give consequences and encourage thinking in students. There is so much of it that I want to implement; I just need to figure out how.
With so much information I've broken it down into concepts I found particularly helpful. I can assign each of these concepts into a different monthly category.
Thinking/Decision Making: (Student-Centered Learning in December)
The goal is to put students into thinking mode as often as possible. Too often, teachers do all the thinking. They come up with consequences, solve problems, etc. Students are capable of solving their own problems. For example, when a student says "I forgot to do my homework,' instead of the teacher saying "Alright, what happened? Can you bring it in later today? What about tomorrow?" or whatever else, make it the student's problem. "I'm sorry. Hope you can figure that problem out,' or "That stinks, what do you want to do about it?" Just thinking about putting the problem solving takes a big weigh off my shoulders.
Putting students in thinking mode can also help calm them down. If students are emotional or angry, they are not thinking but reacting. Asking them to solve the problem or to discuss the problem puts the focus on thinking rather then feeling.
Enforceable Limits: (Self-Control: January)
This is a concept I understand intellectually, but still struggle with how to implement. Essentially, this is putting limits on behavior by stating what I as the teacher will do instead of trying to force students to do something. For example, if a student approaches me and starts yelling, instead of saying "Be quiet," or "Calm down," state what you are going to do. Saying in a calm voice "I'll be glad to listen to you when your voice sounds like mine." It focuses on the only person whose behavior I can control: myself.
Control: (Organization: August)
It is scary to feel that we are giving up control. I find myself clinging harder and harder to control the more anxious I get. But the way to help students feel involved in the classroom and cut down on behavior problems is to share control with the students. The way to do that is to give students choices as often as possible. So many decisions aren't super important, like sitting on the floor vs. chairs, working in groups or alone, which poem, monologue or scene from a selection you want to perform, etc. When you give students a lot of choices, it gives you the ability to pull rank every once in a while when you need to.
This is a scary idea, but not a new one. I was taught to share control in my theatre education classes. But now I have more of an idea how to do that.
Consequences: (Positive Attitude: September)
There is a difference between consequences and punishments. Punishments are about guilt and making someone feel bad. Consequences are about helping someone learn from their mistakes.
The idea that struck me the most was to delay giving consequences. Acknowledge the problem behavior, but give a consequence once you have calmed down and have had time to consider what is appropriate and have the student do the same.
Consequences should always be given with empathy. If the teacher is angry or sarcastic, the student can focus the blame on the teacher. Instead of seeing that their actions led to consequences, they can say "the teacher just doesn't like me" or "I can't believe how mean she is to me." No learning is happening is when they can put blame on someone else for their decisions.
Self-Concept: (Positive Attitude and Organization: September and August)
There was a lot of talk about building students' self-concept. Getting students to feel motivated in the class means building their self-concept and helping them achieve in class. Part of that is giving students the opportunity to set goals and to evaluate themselves. So I'm thinking of ways to help students set personal goals for each unit we do and to help create unit objectives and rubrics. I also like the idea of having students critique and grade their own work as part of their overall grade.
There is a lot more I want to consider about this book, butt these are the biggest ideas I want to try to include.

No comments:
Post a Comment