Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Being Student Focused Runs Both Ways

I've realized something about being student focused. Not only does it mean trying to do what is best for them even if it isn't my preference, it also means doing what is best for them even if it isn't there preference. They will not always be happy with what I do and that is okay. Them being unhappy doesn't have to mean I'm doing something wrong.

There is a balance between making sure students have a voice in what is going on and not letting them run the show. They are still students, still learning and still need guidance. So while there are many times I can take their input, there are also times that I need to go with what I know is best.

There is also a balance between individual students and the group. I don't want to make my students unhappy. But I can't give one dramatic student a part just to make her happy if that will make the whole show suffer. Not everyone can get the parts they want. That is the nature of drama. Yesterday I cast my improv show hosts. I had three groups audition to host. One was a girl that I've had problems with and who tends to cause drama and get me in trouble. I know she wanted to host and part of me wanted to give it to her just to avoid the drama. But she was not the best there. Her energy was low even when given a second chance. If I cast her just to make her feel good the whole show would suffer. That is not fair to the other students who work hard.

I can't take it personally when kids get angry at me or when they are upset by how things are running. I know more than them about many things and them being upset doesn't always mean I have dome something wrong. I need to remember that so that I can stay the teacher in my classroom instead of my kids completely running the show and not learning anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment