Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

What I Learned on the First Day of School

I survived the first day of school! It was so much better than last year (although I do miss many of my seniors from last year.) I felt more in control, and implemented some classroom management methods immediately. Some kids were already shushing each other by the end of the period when I paused to wait for quiet. We had discussions in my intermediate and advanced classes about what kind of environment we want to create in the classroom and how to ensure we put on solid productions. We came up with guidelines to follow in each class. For advanced, we came up with:
  • Be respectful
  • Be professional 
  • Be supportive 
  • Keep the drama out of drama
These are vague, but they leave room to discuss individual behaviors rather then trying to made a rule about every single thing. I can just ask: is that respectful/supportive/professional and let the rules speak for themselves.

My intermediate class up with:
  • Be respectful
  • Work hard
  • Have a good attitude
Beginning drama went fairly well. I have three beginning drama classes, each with about 40 students. That is smaller then last year, which is a relief. I learned a few things from teaching the same lesson three times.

First, I need to script myself. I think I will remember everything I want to say, but I don't. Then I end up pausing for a long time or forgetting something. I know this about myself, but keep pretending it's not a big deal. It is, and when I have a lot to say, specific questions to ask or precise instructions to give, i need to script them and prepare before I go into class.

Second, I have a poor concept of time. This has also been a problem for me as long as I've been teaching. I think things will take longer then they do, or I rush through things because I'm stressed I will run out of time. I need to make sure I have more material and activities then I think I need.  I also need to relax and let things take the time they will. If I don't get through everything, that's fine. The point is the process, not getting it done.

As part of my goal to be organized this month, I'm going to script my lessons every day and make sure I have extra activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment