Since I don't already have enough going on, I've started a new project with some of my students. A lot of them want to attend performing arts schools when they graduate, but they are not prepared for the auditions to get into those schools. I don't have time to teach them everything I want to in class for them, so I'm having after school meetings. I'm hoping by the end of the school year they will have one monologue in each of the following categories: classical dramatic, classical comedic, contemporary dramatic and contemporary comedic. I'd also like those who are interested in singing to have at least two audition songs: one lyrical and one upbeat. (Side note: I took piano lessons as a kid and hated them with a passion. My parents let me switch to private voice lessons in junior high school and I'm so glad they did. I use my singing training to teach voice units, to project when I am teaching and help my students with auditions.. Everyone told me I'd regret giving up the piano, but voice has been so much more helpful in my chosen career.)
We've discussed what makes a good monologue (objective based, character very different from the actor, appealing to the actor, etc.) and I'm given them a list of contemporary playwrights. This week they are supposed to find a couple of contemporary monologues. They have next to no experience with classical theatre, so I'm going to be bringing them classical monologues to choose from. It may take a while to find pieces that are a good fit. Once we do, we'll be working on how to perform them, as well as how to present yourself at auditions and make a good first impression. I'm rehoping it is helpful and that my students don't quit on me. They have a habit of having big dreams but not wanting to do the work to achieve them. That's part of why I am doing this after school, to see who is interested and stays interested.

No comments:
Post a Comment