Search This Blog

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Thank You For the Motivation

I'm hitting the slump after the honeymoon phase. The first few weeks of school left me motivated, but recently I've been feeling drained and not super motivated to teach. I get bored incredibly easily (it's a family trait) and I feel a bit bored with what I am teaching. Since it is near the beginning of the year, I'm teaching basics that need to be covered. Important, but I'm not as inspired by it.

Today I watched an online workshop offered by Theatrefolk called Set the Stage for Student-Written Monologues. It covers how to teach students how to write their own monologues. I signed up to do it for professional development hours, but it turned out to be great. It gave me so many ideas of new things to teach my students, ideas about possible performances and it made me excited. I could imagine my students using the creativity they exhibit to write monologues. I can see them auditioning to see who gets to perform for an audience or performing for the other fine arts classes once they finished. I got ideas about how to teach monologues to my advanced students, even if they weren't writing them. It motivated and inspired me to teach and to love theatre in a way I haven't been in a few weeks. I thank them for that.

I need to find a way to find inspiration and motivation even when I'm teaching the same material. I like my lesson plans, but need to remember to review and improve them if I can. Part of staying positive is staying motivated and finding inspiration in theatre. I love it, and I need to remember that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment