Search This Blog

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Different Kinds of Assignments

I'm noticing that I'm getting in a bit of a rut as far as the kind of assignments I'm giving. I feel like there is a fair amount of variety in what we do in class, but the things that get turned in or graded or used to formally assess understanding are all either written or performance assignments. While I don't have a problem with giving those kinds of assignments, I'd like to add some variety to the kinds of assignments I give. I reached out to several Facebook groups and my instructional coach for ideas, but here are some things I've thought of:
  • Having students do presentations with visual aids
  • Some kind of drawing assignment (I found one I like on TheatreFolk where students create a business card for a character they are playing)
  • Have students physically create a prop, set model, costume or some such thing
  • Have them turn in designs that are drawn out
I'm hoping that I can find some other ideas. I was taught to diversify my assessments and assignments so that everyone can show what they know in a way that works for them. I do my best to make that happen and would like some ideas to improve the diversification in my classroom. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment