Search This Blog

Monday, January 12, 2015

Thinking About Shame

I'm currently reading I Thought It Was Just Me (But It Isn't) by Brene Brown. She is a shame researcher. I read her books because of personal issues with shame, but I think it also applies to my teaching. Too often teachers try to shame students into working or behaving. I've seen it done and I've probably done it before. I know that it doesn't work and have never intentionally tried to shame a student into behaving. But when I get upset I'm sure that shaming statements come out of my mouth.

As the book says, "You cannot shame or belittle people into changing their behavior." I believe that is true. And while I don't intentionally try to shame my students I want to pay closer attention to what I say to make sure that I am really not shaming them. So as part of my self control this month, I want to make sure I don't shame my students. Part of that involves figuring out exactly what shaming behavior looks like. I know that comparing students to each other, mocking their behavior and focusing on the negative all play a part. I want to do some more research on this so I can make sure I don't fall into the trap of shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment