Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Making Students Accountable

I've been losing my mind with every show that I've done over the past year and a half. My students do not memorize their lines. Most of them do, but there is always a significant number of students don't know their lines by the assigned memorization date. Some aren't even fully memorized by the show opening. It's been driving me nuts. The biggest problem is that I can't make any directing decisions because everyone is so focused on their lines. My students have really good ideas to make the show more interesting. So do I. But the ideas don't surface until a few days before the show opens. That leaves us scrambling in implement them or unable to incorporate them into the show. That makes me sad; we miss out on great ideas and the shows aren't as good as they could be. i really want that to change.

I was at a loss as to how to enforce the memorization date. Nothing I've done so far has accomplished anything. I was talking to my instructional couch about the problem, and he gave me the following idea. Each day students are given a 1, 2 or 3 based on their memorization and behavior. Anyone who earns a one gets a phone call home. Anyone earning 4 one grades will lose their part. I'm going to send paperwork home for parents to see and sign so that everyone knows what the rules are. I'm done fighting the same battles over and over again. I have several students who work hard and memorize quickly and can take on extra parts if necessary. So that is the new plan for my performing classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment