Search This Blog

Monday, October 6, 2014

How to Fix the Drama

I'm concerned about the lack of cohesion in my advanced drama class. i went to my assistant principal who handled the initial mediation with my students last week. She suggested having students interact outside of school. That's something I hadn't thought of. So I'm getting on that. There is a fundraiser for our choir at a local restaurant tomorrow. I suggested that after dress rehearsal whoever can goes down together to get food. We are also talking about attending a show next week at another high school. They show great support for us and I'd like to get a big group from my high school to go show support.

I'm also shutting down side comments students make. This is a snarky class, and generally the snark is not meant unkindly. But it is too much. It can be hurtful even if it isn't meant to be. It is too easy for snide comments to turn nasty and I'm working on calling those comments out and ending them.

Finally, I'm scheduling conferences with the counselors and parents of several students that have become a problem. I want them to know that their behavior is noticed and needs to change. I'm doing this with one student show doesn't stop talking and doesn't seem to realize it is a problem. I'm also doing it with a student who is hostile towards me and refuses to work in most circumstances.

My vice principal reminded me that this will be a process, not a quick fix. I need to remember that and keep on it. There is still time to fix this, but it won't happen immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment