Search This Blog

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Introverts in Drama

I am very much an introvert. Being around lots of people drains my energy. I prefer to work on my own or with small groups. Large crowds of people, especially when I don't know them, give me anxiety. I avoid large social gatherings like the plague. (I may also have some social anxiety, I"m not sure.) Being an introvert in theatre has always been a challenge since theatre seems to appeal to extroverts. Working as a director or stage manager and trying to make myself heard over all the energy in the room is exhausting. The assumption that as a theatre person I love to perform has put me in some awkward positions. I love theatre but I don't have the performing gene that some people think is required.

Being an introvert also effects my teaching. I am not as big of a personality as other drama teachers. There are activities I can't get myself to do yet because of my strong aversion to feeling like a fool. It is a dynamic I am used to, because my high school drama teacher was an introvert. But my students are not used to it. And it has caused a few issues.

Most recently, I spoke with a student who said she feels like I play favorites because I talk to the same students frequently. I would agree with her, except these students approach me. They initiate the conversations, not me. I will happily chat with any of my students who come up to me, but I struggle with starting conversations with them out of the blue. So I talk more with the kids that come to me. After explaining this to my student she seemed to understand and feel better about the situation. But I'm not sure how to fix this problem, or even if I need to fix it. I feel no shame for being an introvert and I like showing my introverted students that they can do theatre without being extroverts. If they love it, there is a place for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment